1. Everybody wants one for a present.
2. Too many are abandoned after the infatuation wears off.
3. They need help with the basics (nourishment, safety, companionship)
4. If you forget those basics, they will cry, or bite you when you least expect it.
5. You don’t choose them, they choose you.
6. You never really own them.
7. They’ll only come if it’s their idea.
8. They’ll remember if you treat them poorly (and you’ll have to win back their trust slowly and gently).
9. When they purr, it’s the best sound on the planet.
10. The Internet is made of them.